Friday, May 27, 2005

Alison Krauss & Union Station

For my birthday Jon got us tickets to see Alison Krauss & Union Station at the Benedum. Front row balcony! I don't think I've seen a better concert, ever. The pure talent on display was a thing of awe. If angels had voices, they would sound like Alison Krauss. The only other voice I can compare her to for pure perfection would be k.d. lang but their styles are completely different (k.d. is also superb...heard her sing the Roy Orbinson song "Crying" in concert once. It gave me chills! Really!) We were treated to a solo by Jerry Douglas on the dobro (so THAT'S what a dobro looks like...) makes a person proud to be from Ohio (he's from Warren). And Dan Tyminski was so great. Wish he would have sung The Boy Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn but hey you can't have everything. The a cappella rendering of Sting's "My Ain True Love" was sublime. Oh they didn't sing The Scarlett Tide, that was a disappointment. Funny thing was Jon bought the tickets 2 months early to surprise me for my birthday. Then a month before my birthday I said "For my birthday let's get tickets to see Alison Krauss." So much for the surprise but after 17 years of marriage, my husband knows what I like!

Next week we'll see Nanci Griffith & in a few weeks Aimee Mann at the 3 Rivers Arts Festival. Can't wait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home