Saturday, April 09, 2005

Spring is Here!

A little late arriving maybe but spring is definitely here! Green things coming up in my garden & early bulbs blooming. I like that. Spent the morning with Ann in Squirrel Hill, where we attended a roundtable in a church on the subject of Abraham & Isaac, conducted by a theologian from Vanderbilt Divinity. She was so great! It was fascinating and dovetailed nicely with my Hebrew Bible class. Why did we learn none of this in Catholic school? Before today I really knew nothing about Ismael...is that even how you spell Ismael? The thing really whetted my appetite to know and understand more about the bible. My Hebrew reading, if I may say, is going incredibly well and people are thoroughly impressed when I tell them I'm learning. Actually it's not that hard but I feel like pieces of a puzzle are falling into place. I'm starting to really "get" services. No I'm not turning into some kind of holy roller. But this stuff has had such a profound effect on human history, it really should be taught in all schools, not from a religious point of view but from a historical one. Anyway the lecturer read from a poem that gave me chills, equating the story of Isaac with the sacrifice of European youth in the trenches of WWI. I'll have to look that one up. But I digress. Spring is beautiful, the sky a brilliant blue, and even though the trees are still bare their branches look gorgeous when set against that backdrop. I even put up the hammock so you know spring has sprung.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home