Tuesday, January 19, 2010

It's in my Head, and Other Musings

Here it is, January 19, 2010, and today was the day I was supposed to get back to work on the book. If you look back at any posts from January 2009, you'll probably see some sort of resolution to finish the damn thing. Alas, precious little progress was made on that front. Not because I don't still believe in the project. It's just that I am good at procrastinating. No, I am not good at procrastinating. I am great at procrastinating.

So why don't I feel bad about not completing it? Because I still intend to do it. And it is mostly in my head, and I just need to get it down on paper. I hope it will be in 2010. But I've decided to stop beating myself up about it. It's not like I haven't been writing at all. I have written a great deal about my decision to convert to judaism (www.jewishjuliet.blogspot.com), which was a bit of a departure for me. I also submitted a short story to the Bellview Literary Review. I would be deluded if I thought they would actually select it for publication, but I submitted it because I felt good about it. I'll still feel good about it if they reject it. I'll just submit it someplace else.

I said I was supposed to get back to work on the book today. Why didn't I? No special reason, just the usual. The house is a wreck, I cleaned up after the college boys who finally returned to school (where they belong!) yesterday after four weeks at home. I did some grocery shopping, laundry and dishes. Glamorous, no, but necessary. I went to my yoga class. Which is actually way up there in terms of being critical to my sanity, so I did not want to miss it.

I indulged myself for half an hour reading The Risk Pool by Richard Russo. This was not really procrastinating because reading his work is like taking a master class in creative writing. The guy is simply brilliant, and I am learning a lot as well as enjoying myself when I read this book.

Why don't I just start working now, it's only 3:00, the day's only half over! Because in two minutes I have to start making dinner, then get to the post office to mail one of the college boys' books so he has it in time to begin classes this week, then take the youngest of my offspring to Hebrew tutoring & hebrew school at 4:30, where I will stay for the entire three hours making crafts with my fellow she-brews, crafts that we will be delivering to an assisted living facility later in the week. This is in conjunction with Mitzvah Day at our Temple, doing good deeds for the community. It may sound hokey, and in fact it is, but people seem to appreciate it.

This was very stream of consciousness but sometimes just blathering on about things no one else cares about is useful. To me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home