Friday, February 18, 2005

Writing Class Day #1

Started my new writing class today. The focus is on writing memoirs so there are numerous students of, shall we say, a certain age in there. I was worried about being the oldest one but that is not a problem. I wasn't sure about the instructor at first, but when she read one of her published pieces I realized she is a good writer. Some people are more articulate on paper I suppose. Assignment #1: write about the day I was born. I'll quiz my parents when I see them on Sunday. I know people accused my parents of naming me after a car (the "Giulietta"), which they deny (even though they loved the car); I know I was born on Pope John Paul II's 40th birthday (way before he became Pope.) Does that mean something? Mt. St. Helens erupted on my 20th birthday. Maybe that means something? It will be interesting to hear what they have to say & should be fun to write about. I came home and started reading things my grandmother had written when she was around my age, the trials and tribulations of motherhood mostly. She wrote one about the virtues of the pill & how she thought the Catholic church was wrong to oppose birth control. Heresy, in her day. I'm probably more like her than I realize. I don't know anyone else in the family that wants to be a "writer" whatever that means. She always tried to get stuff published in Reader's Digest but never succeeded. Maybe she just needed a writing class! I hope she's looking down at me from heaven with approval. Maybe she'll throw a little inspiration my way. Are you listening Gramma?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home