Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Learning Hebrew

I signed up for a Learn the Hebrew Bible class at our temple, thinking it was going to be reading the 5 books & discussing it. Turns out it's actually reading the text IN HEBREW, which puts me at a distinct disadvantage, as I don't even know the Hebrew alphabet (or should I say aleph bet?) There's a lot of decoding to do. Our rabbi is very patient and understanding and doesn't care that I'm not even Jewish and don't know anything. The other 2 ladies in the class have at least a grasp of Hebrew, one at a pretty basic level (which is better than me) and the other can read it. So this will be a project. If I walk away from the class knowing the aleph bet that will be an accomplishment. Did you know there are no vowels in Hebrew? There are symbols for vowels that are used in learning the language, but written Hebrew, in the Torah and elsewhere, contains no vowels. This will test my mental capacities, which I fear are not what they once were. Retaining any information at all is a challenge for me. The second lady in class introduced herself to me & I forgot her name a millisecond later (I knew the first lady already). How embarrassing. I can't be the only 40 something person who suffers from this malady.
Boys are acting rowdy...better tell #3&4 to get ready for swimming, 1&2 to get ready for religious school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home