Thursday, June 05, 2008

Thunder and Lightning

So this morning, around 5-ish, I was awakened by a growing rumble of thunder rolling toward our little borough. The birds were singing like crazy. Around 5:30 I heard Josh closing his windows. Like me, he sensed this was going to be a big storm. At 5:45 he tiptoed slowly into our bedroom, not sure if we'd greet him with "It's too early. Go back to bed." or "Come on in and snuggle."

Jon says he gets it from me. And anyone who knows me at all knows that I hate storms. I hate lightning. I hate thunder. And as much as I love to snuggle Josh, I said I was getting up. Our bedroom has a glass door and three big windows, no curtains, blinds or window treatments of any kind. So when mother nature starts it up, I vamoose.

I went downstairs to make breakfast. But first I laid on the couch in the living room, which was getting darker by the minute. It wasn't completely light out to begin with, but whatever light there normally is at that hour was quickly fading.

At six, Jon & Josh came down for breakfast. By 6:15 we were being treated to some of mother nature's drama, as I made french toast (Josh calls it freedom toast) and bacon. Around then I heard Noah in the shower and thought to myself he shouldn't be in the shower during a thunderstorm. But I try to keep such thoughts to myself because people think I'm an alarmist. Thankfully he didn't get electrocuted.

It was getting really loud by 6:30, such that the lights were blinking and the walls were shaking. The windows looked completely black. Josh took his french toast and ate it while sitting on the top step to the basement. This was a logical spot. If he went all the way to the basement and the electricity went out, he'd be in a pitch dark room. By sitting at the top of the stairs, he couldn't see any lightning, though he did feel the rumbling through the floor, and was virtually in the basement, the safest room in the house. If there was a tornado. This wasn't a tornado, but it was one bitchin' storm.

Did I really contribute to this fear his? God knows he's seen me in near-panic mode a few times when we've been driving through some uncomfortably close streaks of lightning. I try to remain calm at home, and just hang out in the middle of the house someplace (the kitchen is in the middle of the house, oddly, and has no windows.)

I guess there are worse neuroses I could pass on. I'm not OCD, I'm not addicted to anything, I'm happily married to my kids' father. We're not poor, we're not starving, we're not maniacs. And honestly, during today's tempest, I remained remarkably calm (and didn't leave the kitchen.) I think Josh almost believed me when I said stop worrying and eat your freedom toast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home