Tuesday, May 27, 2008

New Habits

I read recently that developing new habits actually leads to the creation of new synapses in the brain, even in adults. The idea is to stave off the seemingly inevitable decline in brain function that most people experience by the mere fact of living long enough.

Sounds good to me. I need all the help I can get. So new synapses, that's my mantra with this summer journal. The new habit I'm developing is writing every day, here, if no place else. I showed up today, so that is most definitely a step in the right direction.

My friend told me it takes 30 days of doing something every day for it to become a habit. I'm on Day 2. I'm 2 for 2. I'm batting a thousand. I'll revisit the matter on Day 30 and we'll analyze whether I've formed a new habit or been a pathetic failure. I should be able to tell immediately by all the new synapses firing away in my head like so much electrical current coursing through the innards of my house.

My goal really is just to be more productive and efficient with my time. Not just with the written output but with my whole manner of living. For example, I really do not enjoy driving to Cranberry (3 miles) five times a week for milk, dinner, greeting cards, toiletries, haircuts, or whatever other little needs might be compelling me. Can't I reduce that to one weekly trip?

Also I'm very put out (a la Humperdink in the Princess Bride) because my doctor says I have high cholesterol. I find this incredibly annoying because I have always been and expect to remain, a picture of absurdly good health. I was one of those kids who never missed a day of school.

So as I seek to improve my outer life by managing the household better and writing more, I also strive to improve my inner life by eater better and exercising more.

I'll be honest with you. I am extremely proud of myself today. Because I woke up and had egg beaters with spinach and feta cheese for breakfast, when I much prefer a nice onion bagel with cream cheese. But no, I'm saving that for the weekend. I walked Josh to school. I helped a neighbor walk 2 bikes that she was retrieving from someone else's trash to her house (she's donating them to a charity that repairs bikes for needy children). I rode my own bike to the health club. It's only one and a half miles away but there are hills, and hey, I didn't drive. That's something. I took my yoga/pilates class for an hour, then rode home. God my legs are tired. I worked on a project for my mother-in-law's upcoming birthday. Did dishes and laundry. Then I relented a little and had leftover barbeque ribs and pasta salad for lunch. What can I say, I'm the mother around here and eating leftovers is part of my job description. I made potato salad to go with the chicken I'm making for dinner. And I read a fascinating article in an old New York Times Sunday magazine about kidney transplantation issues.

So as I see it, I've improved my body, my mind, and the environment by all of the above, and if that becomes a habit I shall be content indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home