Monday, June 02, 2008

Almost forgot! Almost...

Whoa Nellie! I was just about to go to bed when I remembered I haven't written today. I turned off my computer already so instead I'm using the laptop, which is plugged in, turned on, 24/7. Don't tell Algore on me.

It's a little early for bed but I'm so tired I can barely keep my eyes open. I know I said I was tired the past few days but today I have a legitimate excuse. Around 3:00 a.m. a very loud helicopter flew over our house, so low I could hear the whirling blades and half-expected to hear a voice through a loudspeaker summoning me from my repose: Red chopper one, we're coming in for a landing. Do you copy?

And since we were sleeping with door and windows open to the bedroom, it was loud. Like we were sleeping in a M*A*S*H unit. The noise also roused our formerly quiet and presumably sleeping dog, who proceeded to bark bark bark until we let her out, at which time she tore into the woods, her barking bouncing off the darkened trees, which magnified the decibel of her voice in a manner that the neighbors probably didn't appreciate. I think her objective was to scare off the mean helicopter, which of course was no longer in evidence.

Once we brought her back inside, I couldn't sleep. It was just one of those nights when all sorts of random things go running through one's mind: Did Sam get back to school safely? What should I pack for Turks & Caicos? Did I invite everyone to Josh's birthday party? How are we going to pay for college? When will I get around to planting the remaining flats of impatiens? Why does that Christian lady in my neighborhood ignore me? Should I relist the Blazer on ebay? Who will McCain pick for VP? Weighty matters indeed.

So I tossed and turned, rolled this way and that, until 5:45, when I gave up and instead met my friend Ann for an hour-long walk. Then I spent most of the day on Noah's "photo shoot", where they styled his hair, dabbed some make-up over a few blemishes, and proceed to take 400-plus photos as a starting point for his foray into modeling. It was actually fun and amusing to watch.

I'm too tired to think of anything else to write. I'd like to remind my audience, all two of you, that I'm on Day 8 and I'm still here. I hope that as the month wears on I'll have more interesting things to say, or at least more interesting ways of saying even the boring stuff.

But for now, buonanotte.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home