Monday, August 04, 2008

Things That Annoy Me

Here's what annoys me:

The new Scrabble Beta on Facebook. Scrabulous was user friendly and entertaining. Instead of paying lawyers to stop the genius makers of Scrabulous, Hasbro should have worked out a mutually beneficial royalty arrangement. But they chose to launch their own version, dubbed "Scrabble Beta," which is slow to load, with a tiny board and ugly colors. They're like the music companies who put Napster out of business when Napster did it better than they ever could.

Bed Bath & Beyond, and by virtue of being its clone, Linens and Things. Oops, I meant "Linens N Things." The "N" also annoys me. I keep going in there with the coupons they keep sending me, hoping against hope they'll have what I'm looking for at a price that does not constitute extortion. Usually they don't have what I'm looking for. There's a space for it on the shelf, but they're always sold out. Doesn't matter what it is. Could be a bath towel in white (not exactly an exotic color) or a mattress pad in Twin XL. Could be a wooden spoon. Could be a toaster oven. 99% of the time I leave with nothing. And yet I keep returning, my optimism running high. I guess I just can't believe that they keep getting it wrong. I'm like a dog that refuses to learn from its mistakes.

Those idiots at our local library. You return books and they claim you didn't. Those little fines keep accumulating. Usually they find the books after a couple weeks, but really, how hard can it be to take the book out of the book return, scan it, and put it on the shelf? Plus those library ladies have a perpetual scowl on their faces, as if it was 100 years ago and they were all spinsters, like Mary in It's a Wonderful Life when George sees what things would have been like if he hadn't been born.

My dog. She barked all night last night. Not just for an hour. Not just at 1, then at 4. She barked pretty much continuously from 11:30 to 5:30, with the occasional 15 minute hiatus. I think she was paying us back for going on vacation without her. So now I'm tired and crankier than usual due to sleep deprivation.

Unsatisfactory answers from customer service. To wit: my son is in Peru with a tour company that promises anxious parents that there will be an online tour diary, where we can see pictures of our little kidlets and entries about what they're doing each day. Today is day 6, and nothing. Keep in mind the whole tour is only 8 days long. So I call and say, hey, what's up with the tour diary? Their answer? "Yeah, we're getting a lot of calls on that. We can't find the tour director to find out why he hasn't posted anything." Excuse me, what? Since the tour director is the guy who is leading the tour, one hopes he can be located. But fear not, they have since posted a few entries, and I now have proof (unless it's photo-shopped) that my son stood on the hallowed grounds of Macchu Picchu yesterday.

Costco. Actually I have mixed feelings about Costco. I continue to do most of my grocery shopping there, notwithstanding reports that Costco is a huge financial supporter of the ultra-leftwing moveon.org. But I will admit it pisses me off more when I go there to buy celery (or some other mundane foodstuff) and they no longer carry it, forcing me to make an extra stop at the old-fashioned grocery store, where they will charge me 30% more.

Tomorrow after I've had a decent night's sleep maybe I'll write about what makes me happy instead of what annoys me. One hopes the post will be longer and nicer. If it's not, you'll know the stupid dog is still mad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home