Friday, July 25, 2008

My Degrees

I'm looking at my diplomas hanging on the wall next to my desk. There's the "Collegii Smithensis", which in Latin proclaims that I've earned "Baccalaurealem in Artibus". But for all I know it could say I failed biology but since it's in Latin and they gave it to me at our commencement ceremony, I will assume it means I've earned my BA.

Then there's The Ohio State University, which conferred upon me the degree of Juris Doctor, together with all the rights, privileges and honors appertaining thereto...not in Latin though. And why do people with Ph.Ds get to be called "doctor" but I'm just "Ms."?

And of course we have The Supreme Court of Ohio, which issued a big fancy certificate that says "Be it remembered that (I) was regularly licensed as an attorney and counselor at law" (big whoop..and isn't that a little redundant?) "and is authorized to appear and practice in all Courts and Agencies of the State during good behavior." I'm glad I have not been a bad girl, or they might have revoked it.

And last but by no means least, the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania proclaimed, "Be it known that (I) on the motion of (a nice older male attorney who was kind enough to do it) was on the date indicated hereon duly admitted by the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania as an Attorney and Counselor at Law." Hmmm. It appears that no good behavior is required in the Commonwealth in which I reside.

The four awards are nicely framed and grouped on my wall, doing nothing more than gathering dust and reminding me of how I spent about 20 years of my life. But now, onward and upward!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home