Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Not in the Mood to Write

I am just not in the mood to write. Hence the lack of posts the past couple of days. The problem is it's August. When school lets out in June every year, I and the kids are so ready for summer. All we can think about is vacation, the pool, sleeping in, staying up late. I always think I'm going to have all this free time. Which is of course the opposite of how things actually play out these three months.

We do always have wonderful summers. But by around August 10, a kind of restlessness starts to creep in. The pool isn't so exciting any more. I'm annoyed the kids are still in bed at 10:30 a.m. I wish they'd go to bed already when I see the lights still on at 11:30 p.m. Too much extra laundry, extra cooking, extra cleaning up after everyone.

We need structure. Not that anyone is happy about the prospect of rising at 6:00 beginning next Thursday. But I think the kids are ready to use their brains again, and I'm ready for some time to focus on something other than is there enough lunch meat in the house for everyone.

All this puts me right out of the mood to write. I think I've been pretty good about it the past few months, but my poor book sits neglected, in its binder titled "A Work In Progress". The sad truth is that I'm not even sure which room in my house it's in at this moment, that's how pathetic my progress, or lack thereof, has been since June.

Also I just returned from a really boring seminar I attended to get my required hours of continuing legal education. The subject was Elder Law, but the focus of the 3 hours was more on how to deplete your assets so you can get medicaid to pay for your nursing home. Curiously no one seemed interested in the fact that if you're not paying it, everybody else is (i.e. the taxpayers). But I digress.

I'll try to get at least something down on Notes from Suburbia, and pick up the book again on Thursday, when I get 6 hours to myself, instead of 6 minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home