Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My Parents' Anniversary

Today is the 53rd anniversary of my parents' wedding. From those two sprung an additional 36 people, counting children and grandchildren. It is remarkable, when you consider that my father's father began as one person, with no parents or siblings that he could claim. I feel very blessed to have my parents, who may not claim to be perfect, but have been quite excellent as parents and mentors, unwaivering in their love and support of all their progeny.

If I may be immodest for one moment, I have received compliments on my parenting skills. I very consciously behave toward my children much in the way my mother behaved toward me. I remember the ways in which she comforted me at various times, and my kids now benefit from her prodigious parenting skills. She's the rock and I never feared the storms of life knowing she was there for me. From my father I learned to show my kids how much I love them. Hugs and kisses. Lots of "I love you"s. Lots of advice. Try to point them in the right direction but don't push them toward it. Be there no matter what.

It's really a pretty simple formula but somehow too many people aren't clued in. Anyway, here's to a 53 year marriage that's still going strong. May I be so lucky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home