Sunday, July 06, 2008

Yoga For Writers?

I checked into the "Yoga for Writers" class here at Chautauqua. The flyer says "Discover how your Yoga practice can help you fuel your Creative Practice (and vice versa)....Explore how the challenges you may face in your creative process can gently stretch past limitations to a new level of inspiration on the mat."

I'm thinking this is a little too new-agey for my tastes. Why do they capitalize "Yoga" and "Creative Practice"? The instructor is described as a "Writer, Certified Creativity Coach and Registered Yoga Teacher." A Certified Creativity Coach. Well, they have life coaches out there and career coaches, so I suppose creativity coach is possible. But certifed by whom? Creativity doesn't strike me as something you can be certified for. And who, exactly, registers a person as a yoga teacher? I'm thinking the same organization that certifies for creativity. Maybe the instructor runs the whole shebang.

I know, I shouldn't poo-poo it without trying it. But I'm afraid of the people a class such as this will attract. People who dwell on a whole other level of beingness. Not sure it's an improved level of beingness. Probably just a stranger level.

Still, it would be entertaining and probably provide some good material for writing. But I'm already committed to anther writing class and attending a lecture every day. I want to leave some time to actually put pen to paper (or finger to keyboard, as the case may be.) So I'm not going to be hauling out my yoga mat for this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home