Monday, June 30, 2008

I Already Wrote Today

Technically I should get a day off from the blog because I spent a few hours (yes, hours!) working on the book today. This is my golden opportunity to be productive, having no youngsters in the house and the hubby at work all day. So that is what I did.

I received some encouragement today from a new source. On Facebook, I joined a group called "Aspiring Writers." I glanced at it yesterday (for the first time after joining about a month ago) and saw there was a new forum thread called "What Are You Working On Now?" I looked at what other people wrote....heck everyone was sharing so I figured why not. So I wrote the basic premise of the story in about 3 lines. I quickly received a question from someone (who has actually written and published books herself), saying she liked the sound of it and asked how it was going. I responded that I had around 36,000 words at this point but have no idea really how it's going.

So she responded to me, saying young adult (or YA, which is what I'm attempting) is generally 60,000 to 90,000 words but that I'm well on my way. She also said 36,000 words would be around 150 pages in the YA world.

I think that is very respectable. I have much more to write in order to finish, but now at least I feel like I can cut out sections I don't like without worrying that I'll have nothing left!

Maybe I was productive today because of the encouraging word from a stranger. I get encouragement all the time from friends and family, but I really need someone from the writing world to talk to.

So there you have it. And by the way, I've been writing here every day, still, for 30 days now. Kudos to me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home