Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Writing Class, Continued

I wrote the piece for my writing class, and it's more than adequate. I read it tomorrow, then the class will give me suggestions and critiques. I'm not allowed to talk, until the end. But based on the pieces that have been read in the class so far, I think I'm in my element. We'll see what they have to say.

An update on yoga-man, who I described in yesterday's post. First of all, he was wearing the same outfit, except a different color polo shirt. Still with the dirty bare feet folded on the nice furniture. Today I noticed his wife, who is also in the class, was wearing almost an identical outfit, and she joined in with the dirty bare feet on the furniture. The two of them don't seem to know how to smile.

But I will say this. Yoga-man is a pretty decent writer. His piece was about fishing, both in the present with his older father, and in the past, when he was a kid learning from his father. I have to admit I was hoping he'd be awful but so far he's the best writer we've heard. Blast!

Oh one other thing. Today's writer talk featured E.L. Doctorow, and he was awesome! Kind of a rumpled-looking professor type, but he was erudite and witty, a little self-deprecating, and just really seemed to be enjoying himself. He seemed like one helluva nice guy! It was a pleasure to listen to him read. More books for the bedstand....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home