Saturday, March 18, 2006

Semantics

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, given who I'm dealing with here. The exercise instructor referred to in my previous post responded to my email questioning her choice of music (overtly Christian) by "I'm sorry that you were offended." Not "I'm sorry I offended you." Nice dish of responsibility from her to me. The semantics are important here. Because her response says "I'm not sorry at all. I didn't do anything wrong. You are at fault for being different from me. And I'm sorry you're different." Whereas, had she responded "I'm sorry I chose that particular song, I should have realized nonChristians don't want to hear about how they have a friend in Jesus," her message would have truly been one of recognition of her insensitivity.

In the final analysis, she's no Christian. She's not "doing unto others" as she would have others do unto her. But the new Christians seem only to care about making unto others as they make unto themselves. Maybe I should just get it over with and convert to Judaism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home