Friday, March 24, 2006

Cultural Sensitivity Part II

Went to my exercise class today fully expecting the instructor to ignore my request that she refrain from playing the Jesus music. All week I was imagining how a confrontation with her would go, how I'd tell her I was disappointed with her, thinking maybe I'd create some drama and leave the room when she played the offending song, or maybe I'd talk to the owner directly and encourage him to have a little chat about how it's not good business to piss off the members.....I successfully resisted all impulses I had to send her another email telling her what I really thought about the lame response she had when I raised the Jesus music issue.

We greeted each other nicely at the start of class and I just waited. When it came time to play the Jesus song, lo and behold, she played something else! So, notwithstanding her earlier protestations that she had no control over the music, she took the high road. So all the speeches I was ready to spew about respect, and the tyranny of the majority, and cultural sensitivity, were not needed.

I thanked her for jettisoning the song; she replied that she doesn't know things unless people tell her (I still say her judgment was lacking).

So all is well here in suburbia today. Now I'm off to be a good Samaritan for a temple member who needs it; later off to a Penguins game with the hubby and sons #2 & 4.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, boo hoo. So now people holding different beliefs than you aren't allowed to express their opinions? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your exercise instructor should have been out to convert anyone, but honestly, I'm a Christian, and I wouldn't be offended if a song expressing another religion's beliefs was played around me. Oh, but that would just be so very inconsiderate; people should only play music that reflects the beliefs of those present. You contradict yourself quite well as someone who cares so much about respecting different beliefs.

March 28, 2006 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home