Thursday, June 12, 2008

Monocots & Dicots

Josh and I have been walking around the yard looking at plants. He's pointing out the difference between the monocots (like hosta, whose leaves have parallel veins) and dicots (like astilbe, with veins branching out on the leaves.) I never knew that.

One of the greatest joys of parenting has to be all the stuff you learn from your kids. All the places they make you go that you might not otherwise try. Like yesterday, when we were in Lewisburg, Sam took me to look at houses to buy, so he'd have off-campus housing and we could make a little rental income. We saw houses that appeared to be straight out of Animal House. Beer pong tables in several rooms. A refrigerator in one living room, retrofitted to have a keg on tap, 24/7. Mold growing on ceilings. Giant oil drums in the yard. These are not places I'd be seeing without a son to show me. Not that I'd buy one. They looked like fire hazards. Even the air inside them seemed toxic. But still, it was something new.

And Harry Potter. I can tell you for sure I'd never read Harry Potter without my kids to share them with. Same with Narnia. And The Phantom Tollbooth. Loved that one.

On another subject, it must be movie week around here. Last night we watched Dan in Real Life. A word of advice: don't waste your time with this one. As much as I like Steve Carell, this was one thin movie with a dumb plot. Steve plays a single Dad who falls in love with his brother's girlfriend, played by Juliette Binoche. They must have paid her a handsome sum to appear in such a lame film. She was too old for the role, and had no chemistry with any of the men in the movie.

But in the spirit of randomness, I can recommend another movie that I loved, and I'm now reading the book, which is beautifully written. Like a piece of artwork. It's The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. Don't ask, just go see the move and read the book. Won't take long, you could probably do both in the space of a day or two. Worth the effort, I can assure you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home