Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Is Obama Trustworthy?

I try to have an open mind with presidential candidates. The truth is that I am inherently skeptical of anyone who chooses to go into politics, and to reach the highest levels I think you probably have to be just a little bit of a scumbag. You'd have made too many promises to too many people. You just couldn't keep them all. This goes for Republicans and Democrats alike.

Also I am a registered Republican, although I consider myself somewhat in the middle on social issues. I think taxes should be low. I think spending should be restrained. I think the government is more often the problem than the solution.

But all these really smart (or seemingly smart) people are jumping on the Obama bandwagon. I've heard him speak in person. He is charismatic, and seems sincere. Or maybe he seems that way because he is charismatic.

I like what he said about lifting the ceiling on taxes regarding social security. I wrote about that recently. I like what he said about reigning in energy speculators. Market manipulation is happening and the little guys are paying for it.

However, there's the Reverend Wright fiasco. There is something very objectionable about a presidential aspirant having this lunatic fringe religious figure as a mentor and spiritual advisor for 20 years. Obama only ejected the guy after his extremist views were revealed. There is no possible way Obama did not know and understand the good Reverend's views.

There's Obama renegging on his pledge to use public funds in the general election if his rival agreed to do so. His backpedaling is reminiscent of Clinton promising not to raise taxes on the middle class, and shortly into his first term making his "I've worked harder than any time in my life" speech, raising taxes on everyone.

Then I read George Will's column today, in which he refuted Obama's claims about the number of black men in prison vs. college, and a number of his other statements. Obama is spewing sound bites that are factually inaccurate.

Yes, I realize George Will is firmly planted in the right wing. But facts are facts. If Obama lies about things that can be so readily proven, what else is he willing to lie about?

This election reminds me of the 2006 Connecticut election, in which the moderate Joe Lieberman was defeated in the Democratic primary by the radical leftist Ned Lamont. When the general election rolled around, it became evident that the general population of Connecticut had no stomach for the leftist ideology that Ned Lamont represented. Joe Lieberman, running as an independent, handily defeated Lamont by garnering the votes of reasonable people on both sides of the polical spectrum.

Even though I'm no fan of John McCain, I think it's quite possible McCain the moderate will defeat Obama the leftist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home