Friday, June 13, 2008

Friday after Body Pump

So here I am, on a Friday after Body Pump. It was a huge effort to motivate myself to get to the gym today, after being AWOL for a week. It's amazing how persuasively I can rationalize not going. I have to do laundry. I have to go grocery shopping. I have to work in the garden. I have to write. I have to return stuff to Wal-Mart. I have to get the boys haircuts. But then I remind myself, the class is only one hour and the benefits will last a lot longer than that. And every time I don't go, it's that much harder to go the next time, and that much easier to persuade myself next time to stay home.

Do other people have these internal discussions with themselves? It's the same story when I know I should sit myself down to do the day's writing. Laundry. Groceries. Kids. House. The kids should get first priority but let's face it, the other stuff can wait.

I'm kind of happy I really looked at my book yesterday with a critical eye, and I feel like the first two chapters are pretty good. Good enough, anyway, to share with someone. I'm sending them to my dear friend and fellow-wannabe author, Ann, who promises to read it and tell me if it's readable. I don't know how I would respond to criticism that it sucks, or it's boring, or it's stupid, or it's too obvious. She would never offer such criticism because she is the definition of gentle reader. I will do that today.

And now this blogging is done for today. I've been extremely faithful to my vow to write something every day, but I have a small preemptive disclaimer about writing on Sunday. We'll be traveling, leaving early in the a.m., and I have no idea what computer access will be in our various locales. I'll write here if I can, but if not here, I'll write on the plane and post it later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home