Monday, August 30, 2004

A Banner Day!!!

Today I have reached a milestone in my life. All 4 kids are at school, for the first time, ALL DAY. The last time I didn't have a little one here with me was 1989!!! Do I feel sad? No. Do I feel lonely? No. Do I feel sick? No. In fact, I think "liberated" is the word I'm looking for. I still have a million things to get done around here but I don't have to squeeze it all into 2 hours in the morning, or work around anyone's nap, or rush over to preschool at 11:30. The best part is that Josh, my 1st grader, is so excited about being in school. He's so positive he'll love his teacher and can't wait to buy his own lunch or play at recess on the big playground. It is wonderful to watch. So to all these women who cry when their babies go off to school, I say "Get a life! Let your kids live theirs!" Of course I never was one to hover over my kids. I try to let them do their thing, and I think doing my thing makes me a good role model for them, even if I make mistakes. They see me trying to be a writer, worrying about submitting my assignments on time, talking about whether what I write is any good or not. Meanwhile they see me not being prepared with some things (Mom, where's my gym clothes??? Oops, forgot to do laundry!) but not forgetting about the important stuff (they were excited to see pancakes with chocolate chips AND bacon for breakfast today.) I'm not perfect but I try....they don't have to be perfect but they have to try too. So my goal is to get something tangible done every day (like laundry) and to write for an hour every day. Wow it's so quiet here!!! No dog barking, no phone ringing, no one calling "Mom!!!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home